Friday, September 18, 2015

Outgrowing the Camera Bag...

So, it all started out as a modest setup, equipped with all of the basics that I needed to get going. I started with a Canon Rebel T5 bundle, which included the 75-300 mm telephoto zoom lens with a f/4-5.6 maximum aperture (Canon) and an EF-S 18-55 mm, f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens (Canon). Starting out these lenses were just what I needed.  I could use the smaller lens for macro shots and the longer zoom lens to bring distant objects seemingly within arm's reach.  Funny how you think that's all you will ever need when starting out.  How just those 2 lenses can be the complete package you need to do all that you want to do.  Now, fast forward in time... a year later.  I am an information seeker, so I am constantly reading information on photography, watching videos to improve technique, looking at the work of other photographers, reading what others use, and all of the different types of equipment available to not only make my life easier, but to drastically improve the quality of my images and help capture the images that make you feel and understand the story that is being told.  And this is how I figured out that I was far off the mark on all that I needed to photograph those great images that all photographers hope to capture.

And here it begins... the outgrowing of the camera BAGS.  I, at first, thought I would be able to stay contained in the standard Canon camera bag that was included in my bundle.  That lasted for about 3 weeks before I upgraded to an Acme Montgomery Street backpack.  I thought it was the most awesome thing ever.... I could put my camera in the side section for easy access, put my lenses, and other assorted equipment in the main part.  The pictures online in the advertisements made it look like I could pack a small army in there, and the bag appeared very flexible.  Shoot, I could even put a small laptop or tablet in there and be on my way.  Well.... it wasn't exactly all of that.  I found it very inflexible, and quite a pain to get my other equipment out of.  I spent more time cursing the bag than finding it useful.  Granted, it was a nice bag, and it was far roomier than my standard Canon bag, but still not what I really wanted or need.  Now, this is before I started adding more equipment... so let's move on to that.

Through all of my research and reading adventures I discovered all kinds of things about lenses, filters, stopping motion, blurring motion, etc.  I bought a ND filter kit, UV filters, CP filters.  It didn't take long to figure out it was a real pain in the backside to switch the filters from one lens to another, so time to purchase a duplicate of the UV filters and CP filters.  The ND filters weren't used nearly as much, so I would just stay with the one set.  And, of course, there is the Neewer TT560 hot shoe flash speedlite for the camera to bounce flash and help take those beautiful portrait shots we all want to take, the extra batteries and extra chargers... you get the picture. 

Continuing my information search I discovered a 2.2X telephoto lens that attached to the end of your existing lens to give you a closer view of the objects you were viewing/capturing.  I had hoped that this would take care of the mid range that I was having trouble with in my current starter lenses.  You see, those lenses range from 18-55 mm and 75-300 mm.  There is a section in the mid range of the 50's to 70's that isn't quite reachable with just one lens.  This was becoming a huge headache because I was switching lenses back and forth depending on what I was shooting on my outing.  For example, walking through downtown I wanted to capture a shot of the tall buildings in front of me.  Well, using the 75-300 mm lens I found that I was far too close in proximity to capture the image, so I had to use the 18-55 mm lens to get the shot.  If I saw something in the distance I wanted to photograph, I had to change lenses.  This went back and forth throughout the day.  So, the mid range lens would be perfect, I thought, to take care of this problem.

I purchased a Sigma DC 50-200 mm 1:4-5.6 HSM camera lens with AF and optical stabilizer.   This is a really nice lens.  Images are beautifully captured and the lens responds well with the autofocus and my changing positions to quickly capture the moment.  The lens is great for events, portraits, landscape, and handles the mid range beautifully that I was having problems reaching between the original 2 lenses.  Love the Sigma lens.  It captures just enough of the lower lens range and enough of the telephoto zoom range on my original to get the job done.  Still, with the range running from 50-200 I was having to switch between the smaller lens and the mid range lens to get the photos that I needed to get of the downtown images. 

So, this is where hopefully my last piece of major equipment comes in for a while....At the suggestion of my husband, to make my life easier, and probably his too... truth be told, I really needed to get a second camera body.  This would allow me to have both lenses readily available, equipped with the filters on both, 64 gig cards to accommodate my raw images, and no need to switch lenses throughout the day.  And just like that, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I found a sweet deal on a Canon Rebel XS on Ebay.  It was marked much higher than I paid, but the best thing ever was the three little words..."OR BEST OFFER."  So, I made what I considered a low offer that would never be accepted ($100.00), but hey... what did it hurt to try.  And, to my surprise, they accepted and I had the camera 3 days later.  Now, I realize this is a model that is several years older than my current Canon, but let me tell you... I have zero complaints.  I took this camera out for a test spin yesterday and I am beyond pleased.  This camera was well loved and handled with caring hands.  The images I took yesterday were just as clear and crisp as the images on my newer model Canon.  Sometimes the gamble pays off and you score big.  I am the queen of bargains by nature, but this was a real gem I stumbled on.  So, now I have 2 cameras and no more worries of switching lenses to get it right. 

And, this brings me back to the title of this post... Outgrowing the Camera Bag!  Clearly I did just that.  I now have made another purchase of a camera bag that will hold ALL of this equipment, and my new tripod that I failed to mention earlier.  It's an awesome backpack that unzips and all of your equipment is laid out in nifty individual, adjustable compartments, right before you.  No digging around to find the lens hoods, the right lens, the filters or chargers.  It's all right there in front of you. Best camera bag ever... well, until I outgrow this one :)


No comments:

Post a Comment